PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 26th Aug 2013, 14:49
Hummingfrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I insider

I sympathise with your predicament but you can understand why there is a reluctance to up grade a/c - cost and the "A" model always comes with unforseen problems which are solved with the "B" model - so best practice is to wait for the "B"!

As an old and bold ex NS capt who started on Whirlwinds and finished up on the 365N2 via Wessex, Seaking and 332L I have seen the improvements in both design and autopilot function. I wonder now if we have gone too far with the autopilot and taken away the newer pilots ability to actually fly the a/c. Although I have retired now I still keep in touch and hear stories like "on take off Vy is reached then autopilot engaged!" How do pilots maintain their manual flying skills. The autopilots and Flight management systems, while very capable, are not user friendly and have upper and lower modes with differences that catch people out!

Operations in the NS are simple - move people to/from rigs in most weathers. The a/c has to be able to safely do that - it doesn't need an autopilot/FMS that is not user friendly!

I remember going from the 365N to the 365N2 which had RNAV 2 along with track superimopsed on the radar. With RNAV 2 you could toggle between 2 pages to get most of the info you needed, the line on the radar confirmed you were going to the rig -simple. A later Garmin GPS you needed a degree to operate

Keeping the avionics simpler, but as safe, would reduce costs.

I was lucky enough to work/live offshore working with a particular unmanned rig crew so learned alot about their fears and was able to explain how we operated. I was surprised at how many were afraid of flying but suffered in silence so they could get offshore to earn money!

To all those rig crews who are reading this thread please be aware that we as pilots and groundcrew will operate as safely as we can. I understand the worry about this cluster of accidents but they are not the same a/c. The 225 is a different machine though it looks similar.

We will have to wait for the cause of this tragedy but as all the critical "witnesses", crew,a/c and black boxes are available it should take too long.

RIP to the 4 who died and safe flying to everybody else.

HF