PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAF for ILS 25L
Thread: FAF for ILS 25L
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2013, 11:43
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Approach ban regulations seem to vary among different countries for the situation initially described in the original post where no Final Approach Fix exists. As I listed below, you can see that it varies among many countries. I recently saw that no FAF was published for 25L at VHHH. I know, I could have looked in the AIP, but I was at my computer and in order to save time, I had thought at the time that I might ask on this forum what the rule is for this location. It appears that Hong Kong has a different definition than many other locations.

While I appreciate the professional responses, we are unfortunately reminded on this thread that on occasion in life and in aviation, we encounter the most repulsive of personalities. They are best ignored.

Examples given below.

(a) In the US it says describes the location for an approach ban as “Where a final approach fix is not specified, has completed the procedure turn and is established inbound toward the airport on the final approach course within the distance prescribed in the procedure.”

eCFR ? Code of Federal Regulations

(b) In Canada for the same situation the rules say that "where there is no FAF, the point where the final approach course is intercepted". No distance is specified in this case.

Part VI - General Operating and Flight Rules - Transport Canada

(c) In the EU, the rules say that "Where no OM or EP exist, the pilot shall make the decision to continue or abandon the approach before descending below 1000ft AAL on the final approach segment. If the MDA is 1000ft or more AAL the operator shall establish a height for each approach procedure, below which the approach shall not be continued if the RVR/VIS is less than the applicable minimum."

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...01:0175:EN:PDF

(d) I may be wrong but it appears that Australia doesn't even have an approach ban or if they do, it was only implemented recently.
Civil Aviation Safety Authority - NPRM 0906AS

(e) In Japan, “an aircraft shall not takeoff or start an approach to land at any airport if the observed RVR is less than the meteorological minimums for that airport.”

Originally Posted by bungacengkeh
JammedStab was usually quite opinionated on other threads but seemed a bit subdued here.

Not sure what you are talking about concerning my straight-forward question. I do encourage people to look at my posts. You will find that they are mostly technical questions and small anecdotes that I have posted in a friendly manner with probably an opinion or two along the way. Happy reading.

Last edited by JammedStab; 26th Aug 2013 at 13:25.