PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coasting onto stand.
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2013, 11:03
Uplinker

Received 106 Likes on 64 Posts
It's been done in the circumstances I describe many many times in 40 years on 737's 727's DC-9's etc WITH NOT A SINGLE INCIDENT ATTRIBUTED TO THE PRACTICE.

So, get a life.

Are you sure YOU are a real Pilot.

Oh dear, handbags at dawn?

OK, let me ask you this. Is this "procedure" of yours certified and approved by the aircraft manufacturers?

I only ask because when the company I fly for were looking at single engine taxying in, they took it very seriously and carefully. They got permission from the manufacturer and took advice and wrote a checklist for the procedure. Even then, owing to an unknown hidden software fault on some aircraft; when the engine was cut, the brakes were immediately applied fully on without any command from the pilots - very nasty. This was obviously unintended, and investigation discovered the fault.

Their checklist for single engine taxying includes: the APU has to be on line and stabilised. The electric Yellow hydraulic pump has to be selected on. The main engine in question has to be sufficiently idled and cooled. The aircraft has to be taxying in a straight line and with feet off the brakes on a straight taxiway clear of obstacles. Only then can we cut one engine. (The electrical busses only transfer to the APU generator when the engine is cut).

So back to your procedure; How would you feel if one day the brake accumulator was faulty, or when you cut both engines, you had an engine tailpipe fire warning distracting you as you coasted onto stand, and you ran over a ramp worker? It's just not the sort of unnecessary risk one would expect an airline pilot to take.

Last edited by Uplinker; 26th Aug 2013 at 11:09.