PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Corporate Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2013, 08:06
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This month Gulfstream celebrated the 55th anniversary of the first flight of the G-159 Gulfstream I.

Speaking of the event, Gulfstream President Larry Flynn said: “The GI laid the foundation for the state-of-the-art Gulfstream business jets that we deliver to customers today. The GI, which was created by our predecessor, Grumman Aircraft Engineering Co., was ahead of its time in many respects, including performance, comfort, versatility and reliability. More than 50 of these aircraft are still in operation around the world, a testament to the aircraft’s tremendous reliability.”

After first rejecting an idea to develop the Grumman Widgeon as an executive transport, Grumman Aircraft Engineering studied producing an executive transport based on a turbine-powered variant of the naval utility transport Grumman TF-1 Trader. The company had already determined any new aircraft would have to be turboprop powered and the Rolls-Royce Dart was chosen. Further studies showed that the Trader-based design would not sell and they needed an all new design with a low-wing and room to stand up in the cabin. In June 1957 the design of G-159 was finalised and Grumman started selling slots on the production line at $10,000 each. The initial customers worked with Grumman on the detailed design and avionics fit. The G-159 was given the name Gulfstream and on the 14 August 1958 the first aircraft, registered N701G, took off from Bethpage, New York on its maiden flight.

Grumman G-159 Gulfstream I VH-ASJ outside the BOAC hangar at London Heathrow in December 1960 (Photo: Mike Fuller)

Of this image Mike Fuller said: "I was an engineering apprentice with BOAC when I took the photo, the aircraft caused quite a stir when it came in. As far as memory serves me it overnighted on it's delivery flight."

The neatly 'named' N1M Grumman G-159 Gulfstream I at Bradley International Airport, Connecticut in 1965

Trans Alaska Pipelines G-159 Gulfstream I CF-LOO at Toronto International Airport on 8th January 1966 (Photo: Mike Ody courtesy of George Trussell)

Ford Motors Grumman G-159 Gulfstream I G-AWYF at Maastricht Airport in the Netherlands on 6th May 1976 (Photo: Mick Bajcar)

Grumman G-159 Gulfstream I N720G at Dusseldorf International Airport in March 1982 (Photo: Udo Haafke)

Grumman G-159 Gulfstream I G-BMPA at Aberdeen Airport on 17th July 1986 (Photo: Gary Watt)

G-BMPA was owned by Gulfstream Aviation of Aberdeen but leased to Peregrine Air Services.