PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 26th Aug 2013, 05:30
airwave45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll drag you back to the point I made earlier.
UK helicopter ops have shown, beyond all reasonable doubt, that we can't do it as well as the Noggies.
Looking at the stats online, we have the same crash frequency as the Americans.
That is appalling.
(Given that the Americans use some single engine, single pilot configurations and almost exclusively in the UK it is heavy / medium twins with 2 crew)

The "average" bear these days will do 24 to 26 flights a year.
Back in the day we used to shuttle to work once offshore.
That would ramp it up to 3-400 flights a year.

Some of the crusty old guys in the back have spent more time in helicopters than the guys driving the bus.
Trying to explain to the bears that there are a myriad of different faults which could cause an incident just doesn't wash. They neither know nor care about gyroscopic presecion / or the new offshore QNH setting procedure.

The guys _Know_ the UK incident rate is terrible, they are yet to be convinced that UK helicopter operators know what they are doing.
All they see is a drive to get the Puma back online.
What they also see is a slew of them killing their buddies.

You can intelectually pontificate as to the cause of this latest prang all you like, but the bears are very, very, very unhappy.
If they feel that (and it looks like you are) rushing them back into SLF mode, you are likely to get their backs up further.

As to the HUET training, back in the day (again, I'm old, it happens if you are lucky) we used to routinely kill people in the pool doing their HUET training.
I'm impressed the Newfies are making it more realistic, but they'll end up killing people in the pool too.
Hence the reason the windows are huge in the huet trainers, the wave and wind machines have been switched off.
As to rebreathers . . . has anyone actually tried to get through a standard window wearing all that gear ? throw in a slightly larger framed bear possibly one who has a sedentary job offshore.
You are in a place where all the safety gear might be preventing the pax actually getting out of the aircraft.