PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 25th Aug 2013, 23:02
maxwelg2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HUET realism and PAX survivablity in a controlled ditch

After having just recenty completed my HUET in the new S92 simulator, with stroking seats, windows that have to be opened when upside down, and a much faster capsize time albeit still in a warm pool, we are waiting for approval to use a cold pool and wave buoy to replicate more realistic conditions. The down side, many of us offshore workers would most likely fail this more intense level of offshore survival training.

We use HUEBA over here but do our refresher training separate from the HUET exercises due to risk of damage to the lungs if you forget to breath out when > 1 meter underwater and upside down.

The reason we got the HUEBA system "fast tracked" was partially due to Cougar 491, in that tragic accident the impact was so severe that all but one survivor drowned, the HUEBA may have saved one more PAX but we will never know.

My last MIS-BOSET was in Malaysia a few years ago, we had to use the air pocket plus in the HUET after the pool training exercises, not an easy thing to do. I don't know what the current OPITO HUET is like but I found the use of the rebreather in the HUET much more realistic.

My point here is that we cannot take out all the risk in offshore helo operations, there is a fine line between realistic survival training and too high a risk to be taken on board by the operators. However as a PAX I strongly believe that we should have the option to sign a waiver and perform more realistic exercises if we wish to do so. For those who do not wish to attempt these exercises then the current required participation needs to at least be maintained. At the end of the day you are responsible for your own safety, but in a crowded helo environment your actions will affect other people's chances of survival.

As a PAX I accept the risk every time I fly, I trust in the pilot who trusts the AMEs who trust the manufacturer and their company's safety and maintenance programmes.

I would love to see the addition of flotation devices that would prevent an offshore use helo capsizing in SS6 conditions, perhaps the recent loss of life regardless of the root cause will put more focus on this option. Everything is possible if there is enough momentum behind it.

Let's try and take something positive out of this tragedy in the same way that we addressed some of the S92 issues back in 2009. To not do so would be to accept the latest loss of life as yet another unfortunate fact of this chosen working environment.

Safe flying

Max