PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - study hours for ATPL's
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2003, 18:55
jthall

ATPL study

i'm on a residential course at the mo - about 5 weeks into it.
Personnally i'm glad i didnt attempt a residential course - i dont think i've got the right personal attributes to do it - i.e. motivation to go to work for 9 hours then come home and work for another 4 hours!!!
At present (and considering things will get more intense) i'm am in lectures from 830 till 4pm every day and then working about 3 hours every night . i'm also trying to hold down a part time job. i've already reduced my hours from 9 p/w to 6p/w (doesnt seem alot- but it has helped!)

Bearing in mind, about 3 on my course (out 14) have already shelled out £2500 on distant courses and couldnt cope and then shelled out a further £6000 (inlc accom) on the residential course; i believe you have got to fully motivated to hold down a full time job and study for ATPL. Of course, people do manage it - so dont be put off by me.

of course - my results will be the proof - in todays flying environment (i.e. job prospects) - it is also worth considering that airlines will choose a candidate with all first time passes against someone with a few attempts - Statistically residential courses have a higher first time pass rate than distance courses (i think) - so if things dont improve you could find yourself at the back of the list of for potential jobs.... Just a small point but worth bearing in mind!!

anyway that is my input - good luck to all studying/ taking ATPL theory at the mo!!!