PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best and Worst Food
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2013, 21:17
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember the grub at Oerland was pretty good, as indeed was the accomodation. Under floor heating and the biggest room I ever stayed in.

Most stand out memory for me was walking into the Airmen's Mess at Coningsby one day during the hot summer of '76. There was an outstanding display of salmon and various other cold goodies on a set of tables that the chefs had set aside, it was a really stunning sight and they had obviously pulled out the stops. I wrote a memo to the mess WO to pass on my thanks to his team. Oddly enough a couple of years later I courted his daughter.

Edit: just remembered Watton where I was billeted while on the Bucc Q course at Honington. In the morning the chef used to ask us what we wanted for dinner. There must have been all of 15 of us living in there. Quite excellent. Also Belize, we actually lived on the dispersals in portacabins, not as bad as it sounds as it was away from the pongo main camp and air conditioned. Each dispersal of around 8 guys had it's own cook. That was pretty good too.

Can't really say I had any bad food experiences in the RAF. Other than the appaling white box of despair on trooping flights.

Last edited by thing; 25th Aug 2013 at 21:26.