PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF F4 Phantom in the 70's
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2013, 20:12
walbut

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I was not involved in the removal of the wing fold lock warning light on the FGR 2 but I think Courtney's explanation for the logic behind it is probably correct.
I did have a minor involvement in the wing fold mechanism in the 1970's. As a young and inexperienced Mechanical Systems at HSA Brough I had to investigate a problem which, hopefully, I can explain better now than 40 years ago.
The issue was that as the wing fold hinge pins and bushes wore, the outer wing would drop slightly relative to the inner wing, when unlocked, so the locking pins and holes did not line up. The more the wear on the bushes, the greater the amount that the outer wing had to be lifted as the locking pins were inserted and the greater the loads required to drive in the locking pins with the brace that operated the mechanism.
I had to write a DOI (Drawing Office Instruction) to change the adjustment procedure which had to be signed by all the relevent tech departments, and I went to the Head of Structures. a notoriously crotchety engineer at the time. I obviously did not explain the requirement very well, as he could not understand why the locking pin loads went up as the hinge pin bush clearance increased. Eventually after an increasingly acrimonious attempt to reach an understanding I was told to stop wasting his time and that I was going to be reported to the Head of Systems for insubordination. Rather nervously I reported to the Head of Systems to warn him what was going to happen. Don't worry son he answered, he's just a miserable old bugger like the rest of the stressmen. I never heard any more of the disciplinary issue and got the DOI signed by Frank Frodin, who was the Phantom Structures Group Leader instead.

Several years later, after the Alconbury accident, I was also involved in re-writing the rigging procedure for the radome locking mechanism over centre latch.