PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 25th Aug 2013, 19:52
jimf671

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
I am particularly interested in the point raised about the window sizes.

The L2 has the small middle windows which are roughly Sikorsky size and larger ones at the front and back corners.

The EC225 has big beauties all the way along the fuselage and I am really looking foward to sitting beside those shortly.

The AW189, again, has big beauties all along the fuselage.

Having a decent-sized jettisonable door right in the middle of each side of the aircraft also seems like a good plan from the swimming passengers' point of view. You got in at the middle so just head back the way you came and whichever way you turn there'll be a big door. Sorted.

-----------------------------

Now here's a problem with modern design that has been annoying me for the whole 16 years since I first had to deal with it. There are a number of international standards for the size of vehicles and various other products. I had to design roll-over protection for an eight-wheel-drive vehicle back in the 20th century. I followed the ISO standard for the vehicle class, and a large person with arctic clothing, and ended up with a roll-over bar with its highest point 20mm lower than the top of my head. Oops.

Why?

The stats were for a 95% confidence level based on the entire world population. North European males often fall outside that range.

The windows in the L2 door or the S-92: are they Chinese-large?