PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How soon the pilotless airliner?
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2013, 19:11
Util BUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tourist

Firstly, if an A320 loses both computer systems then it ends up in direct law and is still completely flyable.

Second, I stand by my time estimates based on what I wrote. Aviation hasn't changed that much since the 1980's. There seems to be a lot of tweaking going on, but no major leaps and bounds. i.e. If it ain't broke then don't fix it. This leads to concepts such as the relaunch of the twin otter program and a market where Boeing can still sell the B737.

You seem to be taking this all very personally as if you had written the article yourself. Could pilot-less airliners be available in the near future? Yes.... If we had a government funded program similar to that of the space program in the 1960's. Is this likely to happen? No... Therefore things will continue as they are because no one wants to throw billions at a pipe dream until the technology is ready.

You say you are a pilot, but you must be operating on some different planet or maybe some other aircraft type which I have never heard of, because otherwise you would agree with me.

Last edited by Util BUS; 25th Aug 2013 at 19:13.