PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 25th Aug 2013, 16:10
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm going to get more flaming I'm sure, but here is my take on the recent spate of accidents to the Super Puma family.

REDL - could have been avoided if the correct maintenance procedures had been followed after the epicyclic CHIP warning (epicyclic should have been opened up)

ETAP 225 - pilot error, in part as a result of weak procedures in the Ops Manual and a pilot who, whilst very experienced, was relatively new to night operations in the N Sea

Bond 225 shaft failure - could have been detected before failure if rigorous HUMS monitoring was in place

CHC 225 shaft failure - could have been detected before failure if rigorous HUMS monitoring was in place

Latest L2 - who knows, but it doesn't seem to have been the repeat of any previous technical failures, certainly not a catastrophic failure otherwise the injury pattern and fuselage damage would have been much worse.

So, out of the 5, 3 are maintenance issues, 1 pilot error and 1 that we don't know about. Apart from the unknown latest one, none of them were unavoidable issues with the Super Puma family.