PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 25th Aug 2013, 15:16
SteinarN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grenville Fortescue
SteinarN - How is this power out-take measured and what parameters are defined for flight crews so as not to exceed this? Where also is the source for this procedure, is it part of the Sintef recommendations?
I'm not a pilot nor a heli mechanics, so I'm not too familiar with the instrumentation, but a nephew of me is a heli mechanic, and he has mentioned something about an instrument in the cocpit measuring torque, so i assume this is what the pilots are monitoring. As to the source for the 80 percent data, I have it from a news article in "Teknisk Ukeblad". Per Gram is a former Super Puma pilot with 4.500 flight hours on the type. I don't include a link in this post as it seems that I don't have the privilege to include any links without a lenghty delay for approval by the mods. Link will follow in my next post.

Excerpt;
Ulykker i britisk sektor

Per Gram kan ikke si hvorfor det oftere er hendelser og ulykker med helikoptre på britisk side av Nordsjøen enn i Norge. Selskaper i både Storbritannia og Norge følger regelverk utarbeidet av EU.
- I Norge er det imidlertid foretatt ytterligere skjerping av trening og vedlikehold etter anbefalinger i tre rapporter utarbeidet fra forskningsinstitusjonen Sintef i Trondheim. Mulig at dette har hjulpet, påpeker Gram.
-En annen forskjell mellom de to landene er at norske helikoptre bare flyr med 80 prosents motorytelse mens britene utnytter 100 prosent av motorkraften under flyging. Dette mener mange her i landet er et viktig bidrag til den bedre norske sikkerhetsstatistikken.

Translated by Google;
Accidents in the UK sector

Per Gram can not say why it is often incidents and accidents involving helicopters in the UK sector of the North Sea than in Norway. Companies in both the UK and Norway follow the rules laid down by the EU.

- In Norway, however, made ​​further intensification of training and maintenance for recommendations in three reports prepared by the research institute SINTEF in Trondheim. Possible that this has helped, says Gram.

- Another difference between the two countries is that Norwegian helicopter just flies by 80 percent engine performance while Britain uses 100 percent of engine power during flight. This mean a lot in this country is an important contribution to improving safety Norwegian statistics.