PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON - 7
Thread: LUTON - 7
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2013, 13:57
Dannyboy39

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FAO FR@STN

Sorry to be blunt, but have you actually read the plans, because almost all of that post if factually incorrect.

With a 50% increase in passenger numbers, if not more, the terminal may only get busier even with the expansions in place.

The plan is to increase passenger numbers by nearly 100%. And yes, the terminal will get busier, but that will be offset somewhat by the bigger CTA capacity. Because of the location, Luton could easily become a major major airport. But that's unrealistic - the owners knew as much back in 2005.

The new entrance will take the place of existing bus stops. With more passengers, there will be a growing demand for bus/coach transport, yet there will be less space for buses directly outside the terminal than there currently is today.

The public transport plan is a bit patchy, but anecdotally it looks bigger than now. The vast majority of customers will still travel by train/car.

There is no improvement on car parking. If anything, that may also decrease with the new two-story pier so car parking will become a lot more restricted.

There is a 1,200 space multi storey car park to be built. The road network will become a dual carriageway and improvements in the drop off look fairly decent in offsetting the extra movements.

There is no mention of the departure lounge, just an increased amount of seating. Perhaps it just wasn't mentioned in the video, but an increased range of shops, restaurants, food outlets etc. will also be needed to cater for more passengers as well as more space.

Bigger terminal area = more space. The idea is to extend the departure lounge to the South. Its way too early to be discussing fixtures and fittings.

The fundamental problem at Luton is the small amount of land they have to develop on. It's already fairly small and compact as it is. Despite the widening of the road from the Holiday Inn to the Terminal, traffic congestion may still be a problem right back from the M1 and for people in Luton itself.

See above. In terms of an environmental point of view, its possibly a good thing? The airport has made a big issue about the efficiency of the airport - land to passengers ratio.

I would be hugely opposed to it if I were a resident anywhere nearby.

I'm a resident nearby and I'm not opposed to it. As someone has already touched on - jobs and economic advantages. The town can ill afford for its only major wealth creator to become stagnant. I'd say the majority of residents are for the expansion, with the only opponents being the NIMBYs from Hertfordshire.

Last edited by Dannyboy39; 25th Aug 2013 at 13:58.