PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New single vs. older twin.
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2013, 09:27
Ellemeet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my ambition for flying is to really go from A to B. My Commander is as good as it gets with a single .. Turbocharged, deiced, o2, great avionics, good cruisespeed and 17gph.

I really miss weather .. In time this will be done by the MLX.. In the meantime i will consider the. ADL120

Anyway .. Back to the real discussion. I would like to be able to fly to places like Croatia whenever I want and in reasonable time. For this kind of mission a twin is essential. At least if you live by the rules asI have set. I will never fly over the Alps when there are clouds. I once was in bad weather over the pyrenees and that was enough. In case of an engine failure .. You are screwed .. Simpel as that. I know that peterh has made a sience out of this with running special maps etc but that is not for me. Also real time in flight weather is essential.

Basically a da42 fits the bill but I do not fit in a DA42 and it is a very dangerous plane in icing conditions. Most of the old twins are very marginal when it comes to single engine performance.

I like a Seneca .. And very nice ones can be had for very little money. Even the V model. It will however run 26-28gph .. And that in europe is no fun at all.
Also .. For the normal .. Local .. Flight a single is more than enough.

So basically I would be very happy owning my great Commander and be part owner of a young good Seneca if no young good Seneca is available for rent (and that I have not found yet in Rotterdam).

Last edited by Ellemeet; 25th Aug 2013 at 12:15.