PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 25th Aug 2013, 08:53
strake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Offshore workers, the majority will not have a high IQ like pilots, and don't know much about flying, and most are not highly technical and can't understand "technical speak". What they see is an increased frequency of accidents and incidents, mainly with super puma variants, 2 in the last 4 years with loss of life, and the others we have been very fortunate in the conditions when the aircraft ditched. I agree that the aircrews are the real experts, and they fly every day in these aircraft, and if you think they have an excellent safety record and are good, then you have to convince the offshore workforce - because it does not look like that to them.
If you were being ironic, forgive me. If not, then I think you underestimate your colleagues at all levels of operation.
However, I agree with your sentiments. Whatever some of the experts here might say, there have been too many accidents in this one area/region of operation using the SP - even though people will quote variants of type etc- over the past 3/4 years and there is a strong sense of unease against using these aircraft in future. Commercial airline passenger have a choice of routes and airlines. Offshore workers don't.