PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian Long Haul - selection and terms
Old 25th Aug 2013, 08:40
ENSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But if you don't have such a good job (or perhaps no job at all for the moment), what should one do? Say no thanks because others on PPRUNE says it should be a better deal?
Listen, YOU have to decide what your services are worth. Nobody elsr does that for you in the contracting game. If you believe, taking into consideration your education costs, education length, job requirements in terms of your health, free time and legal responsibilities as a commercial pilot is worth X amount of euros then fine. That's your decision; that's your price to accept the legal responsibility of safely moving 300 of the companys customers from A to B.

And I'm not saying you're selling yourself short, maybe 3000€ is all a pilot is worth these days. Maybe you're right and they're overpaying the rest of us because risworth or parc are certainly not going to hire me at my expected salary level when you'll do it for much less. And experience? As a contract pilot it is your responsibility to perform the job correctly and efficiently time and time again, whether you're faced with a thunderstorm in the ITCZ, a bunch of asylum seekers 'losing' their passport in flight, a 6 hour delay at gate due to VIP movements in bangkok, a inflight diversion into china with a plane full of taiwanese, or being unavle to establish two-way radio contact with karatchi due to congestion before crossing the border. By taking the contract, you're being paid to deal with such issues and must feel comfortable in your ability to do so.

Just keep in mind that when the music stops, nobody is holding off a chair for you. The company, the contractor, the authorities, police and investigation team are all loking at you. There is an awesome amount of responsibility that comes with taking a sest on that jet; just make sure you're adequately compensated for it. Because long haul, to a even wider extent than short, involves so much more then just flying the damn thing. Christ, even monkeys can do that.

And one last thing... do not be delusional. Any european basing will trigger social benefit contributions from the company to the state of basing. Do you really believe they'll do that when there's a line of new kids ready to accept bangkok, singapore, beijing or hong kong where no such costs incur? Establishing a european base would bring Nothing but extra costs to the company with no added benefit. Google netjets, easyjet and ryanair together with social contributions.

There's an old saying that states you get what you pay for. I don't know to what extent that applies here, but I'd be surprised if there's not some truth to it.

Last edited by ENSA; 25th Aug 2013 at 09:18.