PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How soon the pilotless airliner?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2013, 12:18
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
911slf

Yes, as agreed earlier, the one area that humans are superior to computers is in extrapolation. Using related or unrelated knowledge to work out how do deal with something completely new.

Sully was excellent and saved the day.
However, the technology in the autonomous helicopter in my previous post is capable of working out where to land a helicopter. This is no different than working out where to plant an airliner, and in terms of glide control no human can match an autopilot, and no computer would forget to press the ditching switch. (not a dig at Sully whom I have enormous respect for, just a dig at the very serious limitations of humans)

Remind me how many human pilots have screwed up and flown perfectly serviceable aircraft into the ground? Not all pilots are Sully.

It would be interesting to discover just how many accidents have been caused by the pilots ignoring instruments/autopilots/TCAS/EGPWS versus saved by the pilots ignoring same over the last 50 years.

I honestly don't know which side of the line we would currently be on, but the graph is only going to be going one way as tech improves.