PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How soon the pilotless airliner?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2013, 12:06
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet Jockey A4

The question is not about what you hope will happen, it's about what will happen.....

The sad thing about anonymous websites is that when autonomous aircraft do happen, and believe me they will, I will not only be unemployed, but I won't even have the chance to gloat about being right!

It has already happened in the military with autonomous UAVs and autonomous UCAVs under development and this is where the big spend comes from. Next I would guess the cargo sector goes single pilot leveraging the now commonplace technology from the military, then a low cost will successfully lobby for single pilot. Then the USAF will start flying their strat airlift pilotless worldwide. Then a cargo outfit will try autonomous between out of the way places and when the statistics show how much safer and cheaper it is, then the public will be persuaded without much difficulty.
Remember, Ryanair has passengers despite rightly or wrongly everyone suspecting they are more dangerous than other airlines. The wallet is a powerful.