PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 24th Aug 2013, 11:40
Grenville Fortescue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by industry insider
I will be working with our helicopter contractor to look at the feasibility of at least periodic in flight HUMS transmissions back to base, much like large jets use their ACARS. Since ACARS only sends short and simple messages I am not sure where packets of HUMS data will be in terms of data size but it must be doable. I want to see some "next step" innovation from Helicopter Operators and OEMs.
This kind of language I find inspiring. As HeliComparator has said, not everything can be picked-up by HUMS (such as freewheel unit condition) but a vast amount of what I believe will (in the future) prove to be invaluable information is and once efficiently collated and presented, can only enhance overall safety - for since when has improved component and systems condition awareness been an impediment to safety?

I am convinced that real-time "processed" HUMS analysis fed not only to the flight deck but also, as suggested, to a supporting ground base would be a boon for helicopter safety in the longterm.