PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF VC10 - Great Memories
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2013, 11:05
Davita

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@Exascot quote
"Just standingby for someone to mention 'many happy hours' in either sim. Not holding my breath. The retiring VC10 sim was certainly an improvement on the original one though."

While technology does offer improvements I think it worth mentioning that the first RAF VC10 Flight Simulator was VERY advanced for it's time.
I was the first qualified F/E Instructor on this Redifon produced 6? axis Argus 350 digital Flight Simulator. I believe it was the first Digital Sim and the computer was tiny compared with the huge analogue computed Belfast Sim next door.

I recall we used a teaching 4 session followed by a category rating for crew. To relax the guys, and indicate we examiners were human not devils, we would put a picture of a naked girl on the visual map and that was what they would see when we opened the visual panels.
Once, whilst awaiting the next Flight Check session we were visited by a whole bunch of VIPs hosted by BZN Station Commander, who was a VC10 pilot. He asked me to open the windows so the VIPs, including some elderly ladies, could see the visual map. With great trepidition I flicked the switch, just in time to see our Master AEO/Console Operator ripping the pic from the wall....phew!