PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How soon the pilotless airliner?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2013, 07:13
mitrosft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes.

Buran took off through its own airspace in good weather, flying under power for about eight minutes. It flew back through its own airspace for about thirty minutes and landed in good weather.

That's trivial compared to taking off and landing through congested airspace in poor weather, like an airliner flying in and out of Heathrow.
Agreed.

But my point was that computing power as of today allows it. The sofware may still need some testing ( years maybe) BUT ! Remember the Bodenzee crash, TCAS did know exactly were both aircraft were at 50 miles before impact, it was dumb Russians with poor English command and same sllepy Swiss who did it.

Now TCAS with some added soft can navigate you in Heathrow air space just as well and faster, because it will start maneuvering the plane BEFORE a human ATC can pronounce GOLF CHARLIE bla bla bla and pilot will acknowledge it.

I am not saying that Im fond of automated planes. But having graduated from Aviation Institute with engineering degree in automated systems I vote for automated cars every day. This will bring down road deaths from more that 1000 per day globally to maybe 10 just because the Intel chip cannot drink