PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coasting onto stand.
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2013, 07:04
tripilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coasting onto stand.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up on here before - if so sorry.
I'm a LTC captain on 737-300/800 so know a bit about the aircraft but I'm a bit bemused by crews that shut down both engines and 'coast' onto stand. I've noticed it as a passenger only and nobody has ever suggested it to me on the flight deck.
Single eng taxi is regularly used by myself and others but never a no engine 'drift' having turned onto stand. Obviously the APU will supply elec and hydraulic power and should that fail the brakes still have accumulator pressure but.......IS IT A GOOD IDEA?
As always I default to what Boeing say and in this case it doesn't offer any advice but on the other hand it doesn't say not to do it. Mind you it doesn't say not to shut down both engines in flight and drift down from overhear the field to save fuel - presumably because its NOT A GOOD IDEA!
I've only seen and heard about this on one airline (based in the Emerald Isle), does anyone else do it? If so why? Does it make such a huge difference to fuel costs or shut down time? Does that outweigh the potential safety / embarrassment factors? Does your FO swoon and say "wow capt. you're amazing doing that, one day ill make up my own procedures too"!
Opinions please.