PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 7192 D3
Thread: 7192 D3
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2003, 14:02
no sig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mister rainbow

No need to call me sir, this is an informal forum.

However, let me explain a few things.

It is true that the GCNS course is derived from the ATPL study materials. The reason for this is that much of the requirements of the 7192 document requires an understanding of the subject matter at or close to this level, met is a very good example. however, in other areas, much has been removed. If you wanted to, one might argue that the PPL is close to the ATPL if you're consider fundemental areas of knowledge like the 'rules of the air' or the Air navigation order.

We embarked upon this route of using the edited down GCNS ATPL material, which is a JAROPS approved college, as a way of delivering a course at a reasonable cost. The development of the 7192 syllabus from scratch would have priced this course outside of the pockets of most airlines let alone individuals. Bear in mind, there are not that many ops officers in the UK and any organisation investing in a course clearly has to make a return.

The course materials are not a disgrace and you exaggerate that point, admittedly, there were pagination errors and I am aware that some confusion has arisen, but I have the course beside me and also from discussion with students on the course who have worked through those problems. However, having said that, I acknowledge that there are some out there who are dissatisfied and as I have said all along take your comments to the College so they can put them right.

Please also remember this is the first modules of a new course and 2/3rd's of the course is to follow. The cautious approach to editing used in the first module has been tightened up to bring it to 7192 for the next modules, which will also be 'drip fed' rather then sent all at once as was the case in the first modules.

Also, although this course is based on the 7192 requirement as a distance learning course we have had to adjust the format of study, this is because the 7192 study format as detailed in the 7192 document is for a full time classroom course, therefore subjects may be covered in more depth earlier on then they would be if you were in a classroom environment. More time is also required.

Having finally gained a declared standard for ops training in 7192, which will need to be incorporated in Part D of your ops manual and increase the status of ops officers in this country, I think it behoves us all to do our best to support the efforts of a College who has taken this on board. Hence my point about ensuring taking you points back to them so they meet the needs of the student. They of course have no lee way in altering 7192 requirements, but if students are struggling due to the study materials then they need to put it right.

There is much more right with the first modules then there is wrong. Further, I do think some have been surprised at the level of study required by 7192, one must look at this course syllabus in an overall sense. I agree with your comments that our industry should demand high standards and believe me, UKOMA and the College are working towards that. I regret that some of you feel the course isn't what you need and we'll be working to remedy that.