PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Making it in Civvy Street.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2013, 23:20
TomJoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nutloose and thing I could not agree more

I loved my time in but when it came, as it inevitably does, the Service way of life lost its sparkle for me. Family time became more important than money, status etc. I planned my exit, looking for alternative careers and returned to teaching . Folk thought I was mad - the salary, even with my pension, no way compares to what I was pulling or future potential. But I honestly could not be happier - 7 years down the road and I am still loving it. I kiss my wife and children goodnight every night; they leave with me in the morning, - I won't even mention the holidays. At work (bog standard comprehensive), we have an excellent rapport with the kids ,and in some small way I do feel I am making a difference in their lives - hopefully for the better I do sometimes catch myself thinking "ok time to recover some lost ground and go for the promoted position PT, Deputy Head, Headteacher". The feeling never lasts. It may be a trite thing to say but money and position does not determine success. Each to their own - I am happy.

Anyway good luck to the fella standing for Mayor if that is where his heart is; we all have different paths.