PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana Crash Investigation
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2013, 12:01
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vid

Leaving to the side the shock over the fact that an emergency vehicle ran over a person at the accident site.....two points from the legal perspective. One, it is mostly if not completely pointless to swim against the tide of technological change. While the video equipment can be removed, the time when its use will be far more widespread if not universal is not far away in the future. So the removal is, when judged from that perspective, a complete waste of time.

Second, the police in my jurisdiction (meaning, the police on the university campus I serve as its legal counsel - and under State law the police department is in many respects the equivalent of a municipal department even though we are a private institution) have the vid cameras available. State law prevents audio recording but just keying the start switch works wonders when situations arise on campus. I would be very hard pressed to arrive at even a single legal reasoning precept or contention which would support removal of these devices. And I have some difficulty even imagining what legal reasoning was applied to the San Francisco matter.