PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Operational non-compliance involving a Boeing 777, VH-VPH, near Melbourne Airport
Old 23rd Aug 2013, 06:16
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
If you don't practice manual flying skills in these types of approaches, come the time when you really need them, it's all over the place.
From talking to colleagues in the industry over the years, I get the impression that there is indeed a fair proportion of airline pilots that are very wary of hand flying unless it is in the last 1000 ft where they have little choice depending on the type of approach.

Again, I can only relay what I have been told. And that is, if the captain is a stickler for hanging on to the automatics asap after take off and until committed on landing, then, if it is the first officer's sector, it is doubtful the captain will let him go click click and hand fly when he wants the practice.

On the other hand, those captains who are only too happy to let the first officer keep his hand in on manual flying, and have offered their F/O's the opportunity to hand fly, sometimes get knocked back because the F/O is too nervous and lacking confidence in his ability to hand fly. I get the distinct impression that both scenarios are more common in Australian crews that one would think.