PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus vs Lancair
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2013, 04:18
India Four Two

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
I was in California recently and while I was there, my wife and I took a flight in an SR22 from Van Nuys to Avalon on Catalina Island and back.

I did the take-offs from Van Nuys and Catalina, a touch-and-go off an ILS at Burbank and the final landing at Van Nuys. My instructor did the landing at Avalon, because I hadn't been there before, the runway was really rough and it would have been my first landing. I don't blame him for being cautious, since he didn't know me from Adam (that's the generic Adam, not the well-known Aerostar pilot. )

I thought the Cirrus was very easy to fly and very comfortable. In terms of its flying characteristics, a checkout to solo standard would be no more involved or time-consuming than a checkout in any high-powered SE aircraft. Probably easier, because the gear is fixed and there is no propeller control, just a throttle.

However, the systems and the avionics are a different matter. My instructor said that would take about 20 hours to get comfortable and I can easily believe him.