PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 16:18
PopeSweetJesus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pure conjecture, but I don't think it did. It did not leave them at the MDA on the 2 whites and 2 reds of the PAPI.
There are non precision approaches that will not leave you with 2 whites/reds at the MDA/DDA. Someone mentioned 27 in San Diego. That approach will leave you slightly low on the VGSI which is why I tend to click off the AP earlier if I have a good visual on the field. I've seen others that leave you a bit high if you follow them all the way down. In both cases I've seen pilots in visual conditions elect to leave things coupled up to MDA/DDA on such approaches. Although there are things that make me believe they were using V/S, the fact of the matter is we still don't know what mode they were in. At this point, this is easily the biggest question about the accident for me.

I wish the NTSB wouldn't say the sink rate call was an EGPWS callout vs a GPWS callout because of the predictive vs reactive nature of those systems. That difference could end up being a big clue in what happened that morning.