PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autopilot disconnection protocol
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 15:06
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phys.org
The authors recommend that autopilot systems transfer controls following the same protocols crew members use – with acknowledgment by the receiving pilot that he or she has assumed control.
I hope this is severe journalistic misinterpretation. If it is indeed so written in the paper then the folks trying to improve autopilot have no clue how it works. It is designed to disconnect itself promptly when there is slightest doubt about its ability to keep aeroplane upright so it doesn't get it into unrecoverable attitude.

Originally Posted by phys.org
FAA regulations require a visual and auditory warning to occur following autopilot shutoff, but Geiselman et al. emphasize that such warning should occur before – not after - autopilot is disengaged.
So it is supposed to be clairvoyant?!?!? Like: I am fine for the time being but your pitots might get clogged int his cloud ahead of us so I'm warning you I'll pack up if airspeed gets unreliable. Actually it would be even better if we could replace those scary red flashing lights and cavalry charges with HAL 9000 voice; "Dave.... I'm about to turn myself off."