PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Troops used to the easy life, say officers
Old 11th Mar 2003, 09:23
Jackonicko

Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts
Will good food, enhanced, more easily available, cheap or free phone comms with home, and a supply chain which delivers sufficient bog roll and adequate kit and weapons actually degrade combat efficiency? Would hot showers, TV and internet access somehow damage combat capability?

Are the US Marines (et al) actually being so badly 'spoiled' that their combat capability will be compromised?

Or is it that UK troops are unique in requiring unnecessarily harsh and ill-managed support in order to fight to the best of their ability? Is it the British way to keep its troops disgruntled and uncomfortable in order to keep them champing at the bit and eager to 'go'? Is this particularly valuable when public support is so lacking? Or is this the usual 'cock-up not conspiracy'. I don't even support invasion of Iraq without a second resolution, but if British forces are doing anything then I want them to be looked after as well as is possible, and to be treated with the care, concern and consideration they deserve.

Just asking....

PS: Is British kit really so inadequate that soldiers need to buy and supply their own alternative kit, or is it only considered inadequate by a minority of very 'choosey' perfectionist soldiers (military 'anoraks', or 'kit geeks' as it were)? If issued kit really is inadequate (as I suspect is the case), then it's a scandalous way to treat those who we're asking to go and fight in our name.