PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Operational non-compliance involving a Boeing 777, VH-VPH, near Melbourne Airport
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 10:46
Sub Orbital

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visual Sheed approach to 34 at MEL

Regarding the visual approach to MEL 34 from over head Sheed, it's a piece of cake. I've done it many times.
Speaking for the B747-400 and the A380 (can't speak for smaller aircraft) the technique is simple.
Firstly it is a VISUAL approach flown MANUALLY. Repeat, MANUALLY.
Aim to be overhead Sheed fully configured and then (shock horror) disconnect the A/P and turn of the F/D at Sheed.
That's right. you need to fly it yourself!!
Set up a ROD of approx 1000'/min immediately (depending on the headwind on r/w 34) and aim to be at 1350' (1000'agl) by 3nm from touchdown. Simple.
Having said that, I've had 3 F/O's who told me they wouldn't do it and "required" the Rnav approach. Oh, it was CAVOK.
I told them if they wouldn't do it, then I'd do it myself. Surprise, change of heart and they all did a beautiful job of it.
WHY is everyone so scared of hand flying?
I commonly do it (in the right environment) all the way to TOC and from TOD.
Does wonders to improve your scan. I do say "in the right environment", because there are times when it is not appropriate.
Surely we haven't descended to the "apparent" lack of manual manipulation that "appears" to be the case on SFO.
Or have we??