PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carol Vorderman to fly round world solo.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 05:42
Ebbie 2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the comment about air work - yes, I am thinking someone else will directly or indirectly be footing the bill.

This would explain the "full commercial licence" reference in one of the interviews - she'll need a commercial licence.

This will no doubt bring aviation to the attention of people in the UK - a good thing - but I do think that a stunt like this, especially if "cost based superlatives" are mentioned may not encourage people to take up flying if it is made to look, in all regards, something only available to wealthy people.

On a sour note - if she does get the record of fastest solo to circumnavigation - it will be a testament to funding/sponsorship rather than any innate ability or risk taking.

That said it is still a "thing" and more power to her.

I would be far more impressed by someone doing some "flying hippy/mid-life thing" getting their PPL and pointing a plane east and away on their own, especially if unplanned - sorting the permits etc along the way.

Personally, my first trip after getting my licence was (after over a year of no flying - couple of hours BFR and getting checked out in the plane I bought) New Jersey to Barbados dodging hurricanes - a great lark - no support airplane and no TV cameras (only snapped a few photos).