PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 01:45
J.O.

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Capn Bloggs, you missed my point. I'll try again. I meant people, in general, find it easier to blame a big, soulless entity, than blame an individual, for fear it would hurt that individual's or his/her associates' or family's feelings. I never said it I thought it was the right way of thinking. It can cause changes, that don't need to be made, to be made. I pointed out, that if the error is on the pilot, then corrective action on that pilot should take place, however, if the error is systemic, in other words, if the pilot's error is encouraged by the system, be it in training, operations, accounting, or elsewhere, then corrective action should be taken on the system. If a good system is changed, because of one pilot's non-systemic error, because people are too afraid of hurt feelings, it may no longer be a good system (the law of unintended consequences).
How does one decide that a crew error could never be made by another crew in similar circumstances? To me it's a dangerous precedent to make the assumption that no one else could ever make the same mistake. I'd much rather see an investigation that looks for elements of the system that allowed the error to occur in the first place. And corrections need not always be major SOP changes or technical improvements. Sometimes raising awareness through training can be quite effective.