PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2013, 18:27
The Dominican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does PLT on the cx-list mean? Sorry I just have not one across this before and cannot seem to find an answer for it?
A response required by both pilots

3. For the SE IlS, with AP in I presume I can make my own MCP selections?
Yes

How short is a short briefing? Could anyone give me an example of a short briefing they would like to hear?
Think briefing strip on the Jeep plate...! It goes something like this.

1)ILS rwy XX, chart #XX dated XX/XX. (Then the items on the strip)
2)Flaps to use
3)Current Vref+5 (during my eval, they fixed the weight so the Vref was always the same, but make a habit of going to the perf init page anyways and check)
4)In case of the miss, follow the miss approach course (don't waist anymore time on the miss approach brief when you are doing one approach after the other)
5)Altimeter setting
6) Stby ILS
7)Auto brakes setting (3 for two engines, Max for one)
8)State the question... "Any questions" then call, for the "descend and approach checklists" at once (don't forget this one, it is a biggie)

7. On the VOR app, the chart just says to start turn within 11nm, any suggestions about close to 11nm you should leave it?
Just do a normal teardrop pattern, don't try to take it close to the 11 mile arc on purpose, you run the risk of misjudging the turn and venture outside the arc.

pi3lot_1982 Also, for the Fo assessment it says you can take either seat, would this be a test in itself?
No, they just want you to be in the seat that is more comfortable for you.

5.is the PM there to do pretty much anything, eg get weather, clearance etc, is there supposed to be any handover of control for me to ser up for the approach or is it just a case of set your own bugs and then call for the cx list, I suppose that comes back to who is able to set courses and freq?
With the A/P on, the flying pilot can set his own MCP inputs. For the setting of the approach, you will transfer controls to set your side. At this point the freq and course will be set because once you know what approach you will make, you command your PM to set his/her side, after they are done, that is when you transfer controls and check that everything is done.
6. As has been mentioned the sim sounds like it counts for a lot, anyone have any ideas of what they are looking for ie, someone who has not flown a 767 before, is it done deliberately to throw you in the deep end,
They are looking for your basic skill set, they are looking for you to not let the aluminum tube venture into a heading or altitude that wasn't assign because a mistake was made in the MCP, or because you are unfamiliar with the automation, click it off, command your PM to fix the MCP, then click the A/P back on again, you know..! That flying stuff you do in the contraption you currently fly, that is what they want to see.

Some other ideas: Flaps 20 for single engine, 30 for two engines (don't mess with flaps 25 during the eval, although it is the Boeings recommended landing flaps configuration, that is something that you should leave for line training, in the sim, keep it simple, full flaps (30) for two, 20 for 1.)
DO NOT try to be fancy and make a greaser landing, the sim tends to float a lot (specially with any flap configuration less than 30) and they rather a firm touchdown than you landing outside the touchdown zone.