PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Sacks Captain Goss
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2013, 17:03
Enecosse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have scanned through the thread and read the memo. I thought it was quite reasonable (the memo)
This issue is not just pertinent to RyanAir and 2013 I have seen this discussed everywhere.
Pilots like extra fuel for a number of reasons often abstract reasons generally explained as a safety issue. Companies want to cut costs and apply the rules to try and control pilots propensity to fuel extravagance. No shock horror please you know what I am talking about. I recognised a few of those examples (in different companies) makes me smile with people talking about being professional and we have colleagues with homemade fuel policies.
There is probably a middle ground and I personally don't see taking extra fuel from plog required with sound reasons as a problem, I also never had a problem with required fuel if there was no reason to take extra.
I don't work for RyanAir, my current outfit doesn't blink an eye if the tanks are full as long as payload is not compromised so I can pontificate in comfort.
Just my view as an outsider looking in, I am not suggesting that people fly around with less fuel than that which is required to get the job done safely and it's a sad day if that is the perception RyanAir is giving it's work force.
Good luck to the chap out of a job, sounds like he needs some support from the workforce or is that another problem we pilots have.