PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2013, 16:52
MPN11

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts
While the esteemed Danny42C is having his post-lunch nap (Sorry, Guv'nor) I had been mulling over the peculiarities of Strubby. And doodling, as you will see below.

So, apart from being the home of the Canberras of the Spec N/Staff N course (who just took off, poked off, and came home many hours later), in 65-67 it was the home of the Varsities of the School of (Heavy) Refresher Flying. The noisy little JP things for Dinky Refreshing mercifully lived at Manby, and rarely annoyed us (I'll rephrase that, they always annoyed us, and ATC Manby always annoyed us, but that's a different story).

So … Air Traffic 1.03.15 … Operating From Three Runways At Once.

Yes that was fun. Was that 67 or 68, before I did the GCA Course? Whenever … we had an Easterly wind, so the SRF studes were drilling the Varsities into the 09 GCA approaches and visual circuits. But, of course, they also had to get ticks in the box for ILS approaches (Sorry, Danny, modern stuff, someone will update you )

So … GCA to 09, ILS to 27. At the same time … Woot!!

And then we had a UAS/AEF Det of Chipmunks, which due to the wind and traffic density decided to operate from the still-viable RW 03. We now had 3 runways in use at the same time

I honestly have no idea these days how we sequenced all that stuff, but I was that Local Controller …clearing GCA to do head-on approaches to 09 and ILS to 27, whilst slotting Chipmunks off 03 into the plot. I doubt it would be allowed these days … but back then we were bloody good, eh? As my wife says, timing is everything.

Have a cr@p diagram, roughly to scale.

Last edited by MPN11; 21st Aug 2013 at 17:02.