PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Sacks Captain Goss
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2013, 16:33
LNIDA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair have to be cheap and cheap means ultra low cost base, everything is done with that goal in mind, whilst i thought the tone of the memo was a bit churlish the content was fair and made some valid points, the fact is a lot of aircraft Commanders carry far more fuel than they need* with some its just laziness, many an F/o will know only to well the P1's who turn up at last minute report not having read the Wx or NOTAM's and say whats min block? A 6300kg ok stick 7000kgs on

* need is a funny thing I always take what i believe i will need, no more no less and this is after a discussion with F/0, sometimes this is a lot more than what they had in mind, early Spring CB's +500m +sn ABZ & EDI are classic examples of how people get caught out, what is the point of putting an extra 500kg on a 737 if your going to hold for 40 minutes whilst the sweep the runway?, you either put an hours holding fuel or you might as well go with min fuel and divert early, of course if its a prob 30 it might not happen if its a prob 40 it could very likely happen but might not, i would be very interested to hear what FR management would say if you took min fuel and diverted with that forecast, it might be better to ring ops and say what would you like me to do fuel wise? if they say "your the skipper, your call" then just record the call? they are recorded anyway i gather......

The one line i do take issue with is the childish comment of landing with 1136 KG so land with 1137 your ok but with 1135 its an MOR or ought to be.......

Ladies & Gentleman (pause for fan fare) you'll be delighted to know that we have arrived at xxx with enough fuel to fly for another 30-45 minute, before the engines would have stopped & the rules allow us to do that..........

I personally don't doubt their safety, its the culture that offends me professionally

Last edited by LNIDA; 21st Aug 2013 at 16:36.