PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2013, 15:32
Coagie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
737er, Thanks. I'll see if I can dig it up and check it out. You seemed to have peaked interest in the book among those in this thread. 737er, you may rival Don Imus or Oprah Winfrey, in getting a book on the New York Times Best Seller list! Good work! I'm sure everyone, who reads the suggested book, will get something useful out of it. The whole Human Factors thing is fascinating, and can be applied in a broad array of endeavors.

Book & GroupThink (Board style)
Two questions with comments embedded;
1. What interest would there be amongst those PPRuNe-ers who have been active on thread (or following it closely) in a new thread for discussion amongst and between members who are reading the "Rethinking" book (Kindle, Majorly Tall Woman, Mortared Brick or from whatever source derived)? I hesitate beyond pausing to start a thread that would just draw contempt ridicule derision and derisive scorn from the cognoscenti for whom it would be intended to be interesting / useful / informative / maybe entertaining (though not while driving but I digress). If Oprah can have a book club, well, the million-plus PIC hours -(aggregate) frequent drivers club could have very stimulating and learned discussion of what those who are reading the book - promoted by the ghost of 1354 - think of particular arguments developed therein, and so on. Kind of like recurrent training, but not on the dynamic motion base six-degrees-of-freedom Magenta Line queen. Maybe it might even build toward consensus for a return to hand-flying as an emphasis in CAAs. What sayeth the Community herein?

2. Does anyone know whether, and if so to what extent, the attitude and expertise very manifest in-thread -- the drill into it, hit all the details, keep going until the facts are assembled Complete(ly), speak your mind freely on all matters of interpretation or conjecture, and just a general refusal to accept the Big Shrug (in my steel mill youth, I recall, a Safety placard read: Accidents Don't Just Happen. They Have Causes. no shrug allowed) -- this level of expertise exists and is applied at NTSB, right? Right? But do they (the Board staff) have a process like the GroupThink that has produced this thread? Yeah, that too: I hope the Board staff is right over yonder, lurkin' away.

I'm WillowRun 6-3, which BTW does not stand for "verbose lawyer". Good Day and "be careful out there"
WilloRun 6-3, if you're paid by the word, rather than the hour, you must be a very wealthy lawyer! Kidding aside, although the thin skinned should proceed with caution when participating, it's good to see you appreciate the value of Internet brainstorming.