PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 21st Aug 2013, 12:51
Malkovitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Career Changer advice, Offer to study at BAFA, Antwerp - ADVICE badly needed

Hi,
First of all I have done lots of research but the more I read the more disheartened I get.
I am 34 and moved to Brugge, Belgium 2 years ago. My partner is from here and she wanted to move back. I have spent that time learning the language (Dutch) whilst working part time for a large animal pharmacy. (I did 12 years in England as a Veterinary Nurse, GF is a Vet).
Now that my language studies have finished and my original job doesn't really exist here in Belgium I decided to look into fulfulling my lifelong dream of becoming a pilot.
I recently (2 weeks ago) had my COMPASS selection test for the BAFA flight school in Antwerp and I'm pleased to say that I passed. I have been offered a place to start 9th September. Problem is I am now having doubts.
The more I read on here and other forums/websites it seems to paint a very negative image of the airline industry.
The training that I will undergo is integrated full time and will cost 83,700 euros. It seems that once that is completed and I have my frozen ATPL I will then need a type rating. If I want to go down that route. Am I right in thinking that the airlines rarely pay for this nowadays? As far as I can tell people are paying for this themselves and this is encouraging the airlines to duck out of the costs. Which i can understand from their point of view.
But anyway my initial excitement 2 weeks ago is all but gone. I could end up with debts of over 100,000 euros and be none the better for it.
I truly do want to fly for a living and to be honest I would be happy doing any flying job from pottering about in a small prop plane, flying rich business people in private jets or all the way up to a full blown airline job. Hell I would even crop dust if I got paid for it. I was truly shocked at the level of wages you start at, but that I can live with as I know it will pay off in the end.
But what I really want to know is:
Is there a 'bright' future persuing a career in the airline industry? Is it worth the huge finicial risk? What is the current/projected job market like? Am I too old?
I know these have been asked millions of times before, but I just keep getting conflicted views. I am on the verge of making one of the biggest decisions of my life and I don't want to regret it - either way.
Any advice from those in the industry/studying/recent graduates etc would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance for you replies. You may be as harsh as you like, I can take it!