PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to Navigate visually??
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2003, 01:23
Mile High Society

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where I learnt, we were taught to make at least one point along track which would give a positive fix. Dont wait to see something along the track to get a fix.

When planning the flight, pick one feature at least per leg (a town or dam or something visible which is more likely to be on the map and on the ground) reducing the distance between positive fixes reduces the amount you get off track before its too late.

Use the positive fix to do a 1 in 60, at least one per leg... unless of course it is a very short leg.

Also remember that 1 in 60's rely on having had a very constant heading. Pick a command heading and stick to it. If you wonder from your heading too often, you are inserting a variable which your flight plan does not allow for.

I am sorry if this seems all to simple, and perhaps a litle condescending but it is not intended that way. I am trying to emphasise the point that VFR nav is in fact just a formula. Heading + groundspeed gives a result, if it is not the desired result, take the corrective action. It is all simple maths. Just apply the method and reduce variables as best you can.

All of the above info is excellent as well.

Where I learnt, we were given our maps and flightplans for several minutes at the start of any given leg. After setting a command heading and giving our instructor an estimate for our 1 in 60 point, he/she would take everything back off us so that we would concentrate purely on flying accurately. 5 minutes before our estimate for the 1 in 60 point we would get our flight plans back just long enough to do a 1 in 60 and revise our estimate and then it was all taken away again and given back a few minutes before we were due to reach the waypoint.

This emphasises the point that VFR is for fun. Concentrate on flying accurately, and keep your head up. Looking at the maps for long durations actually works against you.

The last peice of advice I can give is to make sure you do a windcheck with your wizz wheel every now and then. Dont just go off the forecast as we all know they are not always right. Reduce the variables as much as you can.

Good luck and Happy Flying....