PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Committing when an alternate is required
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2013, 11:22
framer

Received 481 Likes on 129 Posts
Insomniac, that is the belief that I think is incorrect when operating under Australian regulations.
Below is a cut and paste from the Ausi CAAP that Waren9 referred me to earlier.

6.1 Subject to subsection 6.2, where it has been determined that an alternate aerodrome to the destination aerodrome is required, then the amount of fuel on board an aircraft at any particular point in the flight should be an amount that is sufficient: (a) to enable the aircraft (i) to fly from that point to a height of 1 500 feet above the destination aerodrome; and (ii) to make an approach to that aerodrome; and (iii) to make a missed approach to that aerodrome; and (iv) to fly to the alternate aerodrome; and (v) to make an approach to that alternate aerodrome; and (vi) to land at that alternate aerodrome;
Subsection 6.2 is just a reference to Tempo's and Inter's.
The important thing to note in the above quote is that the requirement to maintain your Alternate Fuel is is for " any particular point in the flight". Not just the pre-flight planning stage as many say.

I am always ready to change my mindset if someone points out that I am wrong so feel free to show me why the CAAP doesn't apply or how I've misinterpreted it.
Cheers,
Framer