PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheesed off! but perhaps for the better good in the long run?!
Old 20th Aug 2013, 10:56
foxmoth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Btw, i understand why group costs are what they are, never said i didnt. however when your 1/16 share is £3k to join + £80pm +£80 ph for a PA28 then i dont see why. Thats £48000 in joining fees and £15350 pa in monthly memberships! They burn 34LPH of fuel @£2 pL = £68 ph so that leaves £12 ph towards what? times that by 16 members flying 10 hours a year each = £2000.
Mariner has said much of it, the £3k is YOUR share of the purchase price - yes, this has been paid, but the guy selling will want his bit back - or do you want 1/16th of an aircraft for free, but I think a 1/16th share would normally be a LOT less than £80pm - this will normally cover all the standing costs - Hangarage/Insurance/Annual and in a group of 16 I would expect it to be about £40 pm, so with an £80ph charge you are already cheaper for a months flying than most flying clubs, fly more and the hourly rate drops more. £12ph towards what? Well remember there are things like 50hr checks, so that needs factoring in, and any well run group will have a contingency/engine fund (any idea what a new engine costs - think that most light aircraft engines are lifed at 2-2,500 hours and you will not have a lot left from your £12ph), if you factor BOTH the engine fund AND the hourly maintainance in £80ph is probably a little on the low side for a Pa28 and this is born out looking at a few group rates. Also note, if the group IS making more than it needs then 1/16th of that excess is YOURS, it does not go into any one persons pocket. If you think you are going to run one yourself for less than this I think you are in for a shock!
Try it with an LAA type that you can do a lot of the work yourself, put it on a farm strip and THEN you will start to get your costs down.

Last edited by foxmoth; 20th Aug 2013 at 11:29.