PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2013, 10:37
wawa yaka mynmak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mcgrath50

Flying Bear (or other CPs),

On my resume I currently have my CPL listed in qualifications then under education (further down the page) I have Passes in all ATPL subjects. Should I put CPL with passes in ATPL subjects up or is it much of a muchness?

Also when listing hours, some have suggested rounding down to the nearest whole number for neatness as much as anything (eg; 378.4 is listed as 378) what are your thoughts on this?

This thread looks like it will be another pprune classic that should be mandatory reading when completing a CPL!

If you're really that keen on putting whole numbers, I would write 378. If it were my CV I would just round to 380, 375 or 370. Take your pick, just don't blatantly lie and tell your potential employer you have a lot more experience than you actually, do or falsify your logbook.

There was a time where we all could recall to the decimal place how many hours we had in our logbook. Don't fall into this trap, just tally the numbers at the end of the page and get a pleasant surprise when you hit whatever target you've set yourself. The kettle will always take longer to boil if you sit and watch it. There will come a time where your logbook becomes a chore to fill in.

Speaking of numbers: Try and take any opportunity you can to clock up some night as these are the hardest numbers to put in your logbook. Some considerations when doing so: Weather (don't get caught out by unforecast fog or take your 210 through CB's during the wet), duty times, CP's/Operations' permission, aircraft serviceability, currency, previous experience, black hole approach etc. With the change in ATPL requirements needing a flight test to gain an ATPL, self regulated early starts and late finishes to gain these hours may be a thing of the past.

Would suggest you take two torches with you during night ops. Keep one accessible in your nav bag and one on your belt. Keep one on, and in between your legs ready to grab when in critical phases of flight ie: Takeoff, Landing and in IMC. You don't want to lose your lights and not having a backup in hand, especially a during a departure in the wet. A green/red adjustable brightness torch is superior so you don't go blinding yourself when you turn it on. If you're a crafty person, you will find a way to jam it in between your headset band and head. LED's are superior to normal filament bulbs as they will last the test of time. Also keep plenty of spare batteries in that mighty captain's briefcase you purchased.

Everything you purchase should have a practical application to your job. There isn't much point of buying that said briefcase if you've got no where to put it in the aircraft. Small and flexible is the key. Backpacks, messenger bags, helmet bags, small pilot's bags etc work well. Come to an understanding that you won't be able to fit much under your knees or in between the pilot's seats of the aircraft you are going to fly. There isn't much point of putting your flight bag in a baggage locker. Try as you might, your documents wont be accessible when you need them!

Hydration: Camelbaks etc fit well in between pilot seats. Trust me, you will need all three litres of water that it contains by lunchtime when working a 12 hour multi sector day in the top end. Keep sunscreen and hand sanitizer in the pockets of your hydration pack/ chosen flight bag. Why hand sanitizer you may ask? You will know when the time comes...

Clothing: Wear whatever your company dictates uniform wise. In the bush? Wear sensible shoes and a hat. Leather shoes? Don't buy anything that will last you a month or so before the sole wears through - Anything that you would normally wear to the races/formal functions will not stand the test of time! I would suggest smart looking boots of a known brand/quality. The environment that your footware is operating in is very different to footware that was designed for an office worker and will last as such. Gravel and tarmac are very abrasive and will destroy your shoes in weeks, not years.

Communication: You're kidding yourself if you think one of the discount mobile providers are going to provide you such a service in remote Australia. There is only one telco that will provide service to the areas that you're going to operate in. Keep a spare charger in your flight bag. If you get stuck somewhere, you will have wished you had packed one.

Navigation: Bring a handheld GPS with you that will withstand the test of time. Wouldn't recommend touch screens due to turbulence. Leave it on the dash in the hot sun at your own peril. Also your boss will not be happy if he catches you wedging said GPS in between the windscreen and the dash. You were warned.