PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheesed off! but perhaps for the better good in the long run?!
Old 20th Aug 2013, 09:06
RyanRs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RTN11 Left four switches on (but not the master) -American switches, i turned them off, but can remember looking back that i turned them back on again as i exited the cockpit after looking them and thinking they was actually in the 'On' position!
Which four? If it was avionics, then I can see them getting annoyed at you, as leaving these on during engine shutdown doesn't do the radios any good (perhaps people doing this over and over has contributed to the radio problems?). Also, if the next guy jumps in and flicks the master on, whatever those four switches are will also come on. Say it's Pitot heat, again not good to drain the battery in this way. I feel they have a pretty valid point on this one, as not leaving things switched off and safe shows that you haven't followed any checklist or procedure here, which could be an indication of other aspects of your flying.
The switches i left on were the four next to each other -Fuel pump, beacon, pitot, landing light (Iirc thats what they were?) But as i said, i switched everything off as part of my shutdown checks, i always follow my checklist booklet. It was after getting in and out of the AC a few times checking everything was done right that i spotted the switches again and thought i had left them on as they are american style switches -something i have never come across before. Without looking properly i guess you could say, i flicked them all back On again thinking i was doing the opposite! Proof of this was in the pitot switch as it was a hot day and i have only ever had to use this once while training so its usually a switch that i never touch. Avionics was all off.

Btw, i have never had to fit an AC cover before neither! and as i was never shown how to re-fit it, just shown how to take it off and fold it in such a manner that its easy to go back on, i was pretty pleased with myself that i got the thing on neatly! Knew nothing about tucking the straps!
I did email the guy back, apologising multiple times, i tried to explain my self and what happened and even suggested that perhaps i could do another hour with the Instructor or even himself to learn the correct procedures and how to use the intercom equipment. I was very polite in my email however that was over a week and half ago now and i have had no response! It would have been nice for him to even reply, i left my phone number in the email too.

Btw, i understand why group costs are what they are, never said i didnt. however when your 1/16 share is £3k to join + £80pm +£80 ph for a PA28 then i dont see why. Thats £48000 in joining fees and £15350 pa in monthly memberships! They burn 34LPH of fuel @£2 pL = £68 ph so that leaves £12 ph towards what? times that by 16 members flying 10 hours a year each = £2000. So the group would be taking in a total of £17350 a year for an AC that was likely easily paid off in the first £48k joining fee! From most of what i researched, a single owner doing 50 hours flying a year in a PA28 and storing it outside at the airfield would be looking at spending £10k pa total! This is where i would split the share between 5~6 friends thus dividing a £40k purchase price evenly at £6500 each, and then the anual costs (est 6500~7000 pa) would cost 6 people £95 pm each. then the cost PH = whatever the cost of fuel! Also like i mentioned before, if i was to add say 3~4 outsiders to rent the AC at a competitive price, then i could get the monthly costs from £95 pm down to £40~£50 pm. however, i have taken on-board what people have mentioned about higher CofE standards.

Last edited by RyanRs; 20th Aug 2013 at 09:07.