PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2013, 08:25
Mick Stuped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rookie
Best you post any questions you may have in this forum so that all get to see any advice that comes out of your questions. It will also allow advice from other directions that maybe better than advice I can offer.

It was from frustration that I posted the last message as I understand fully were the thread started as we also are bombarded with so many employment requests and the same mistakes are being made time and time again in approaches to us.

We now don't even advertise jobs and protect our email addresses as the modern age of technology means we get bombarded with so many employment requests, that it is becoming a problem as big as spam. To tell you the truth, only one or two per every 100 submissions even meet our basic criteria as mentioned in my blog.

Our CP still likes to see a potential pilot do the cold call and introduce themselves and have a chat. Sometimes it may take a few visits before you even get to meet the CP. Its not that we are arrogant and don't want to meet you, its because usually we are very busy and don't have the time. Ask if we have a preferable time and be prepared to come back. We feel this shows they are keener than someone just sitting at home on a computer sending off mail blasts to every operator thinking they we will contact you with a job offer. Doesn't work like that, sorry.

As an example we put an add out in the electronic media a couple of years ago for a basic line pilot as a first job. That resulted in 148 applications and resumes in the first 24 hours. Some 36 came through in the first 4 hours of posting the add. We had to take the add down before we got swamped.

We are only a small charter company so I can imagine how frustrated the bigger higher profile guys get with so many requests. I have been told by some of them that they end up setting up a special email address for this very reason and delete anything on their other email addresses that look like a CV without opening.

So rookie nothing personal we just don't give email address out to anyone we don't know.