PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2013, 07:01
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SoS, re "It is not optional, it is a ICAO required parameter. "

I understand that.

I don't want to take the thread off-topic nor do I mean to be blunt but if I may, it's a lot more complex than that.

To clarify my "may or may not" statement, "autopilot engaged/not-engaged" is indeed a required parameter almost everywhere flight data comes under the country's aviation regulations for FDRs. What is less certain under both ICAO Annex 6 and most country's regulations including Canada's and the United States is the requirement for autoflight parameters beyond that basic AP "on-off" parameter. In some documents, (§121.344), automatic flight control system modes and engagement parameters are stated as required but what is not stated is what parameters would satisfy the regulation.

There are many parameters such as MCP / FCU selections and autoflight modes which would be extremely useful but which are not required in law for all types. As you probably are aware, the rules for required parameters are not simple to navigate but I believe this aircraft (first flight, November, 2003, Part 121) may be under the "88-parameter" requirement, but I would be happy to be corrected, with references to documentation.

PJ2