PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish pilots kidnapped in Beirut
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2013, 05:06
Farrell
The Cooler King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is of concern for me since we are considering operating there soon and I'm not comfortable about the possibility of an overnight stay. It seems prudent not to stay but I don't want to overeact to the current media hype on the matter.
If you are not comfortable, then don't go. It is as simple as that.
There is no media overhype in this case. Two pilots were taken off a crew-bus in an attempt to leverage a release of prisoners in Lebanon.

Nothing overhyped about that. You have tensions on the rise between Syria and Turkey with Hezbollah and other splinter groups adding more spanners to the works - and they are going back to the age-old tactic of grabbing folks in the street.

The reality here is that these guys may already be dead, or they might be released soon or may follow the same fate as John McCarthy or Brian Keenan and spend the next decade being bundled from house to house.

You fly to Beirut or anywhere in the region with low opsec / persec, and factions allowed to run riot, and you risk getting nabbed.

(I know of a certain crew-bus operator over here that has a digital sign that lights up with the airline's name on it that flashes all the way from hotel to airport. They might as well just wave "Kidnap me" flags out the window. Here is not as much as a security risk but makes me wonder if the same is done in the Leb.)

It's all down to you. Go or no-go. How much is the job worth to you?
As someone said on here a while ago:
"Better to be alive and jobless...."

Last edited by Farrell; 20th Aug 2013 at 05:16.