PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Committing when an alternate is required
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2013, 22:07
framer

Received 481 Likes on 129 Posts
Committing when an alternate is required

Hi there,
Can anyone point me towards any rules or regs that mention 'committing' to an airfield ( in Australia) when the current weather is below Special Alternate Minima ?
There is often talk about ' committing' to an airfield but I think sometimes this is done in contravention to the regs.
Scenario: Assuming my aircraft is equipped in a way that allows the use of Special Alternate Minima and I am inbound to YSSY. The weather at YSSY becomes BKN at 600ft, 50km viz, no wind and is forecast to stay that way. YSCB is acceptable as an alternate and I have the fuel for it.
If I am instructed to enter a hold for 20 minutes and I know I will lose my ability to divert to YSCB from the missed approach in ten minutes, what rule or reg allows me to 'commit' to YSSY and remain in the hold rather than diverting to YSCB before I lose it?
I have made the scenario deliberately unrealistic regarding the Wx conditions because I am not interested in discussing airmanship or decision making, just the regs. I also am not interested in Tempo conditions or Inter conditions as I understand how they can be applied.
Thanks in advance.
Framer.