PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheesed off! but perhaps for the better good in the long run?!
Old 19th Aug 2013, 21:09
RyanRs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Glad to hear that the owner has gone ott with this and im not just an imbecile in denial! I really do like the idea of owning my own AC, i know its not going to be as simple as buying a car of a similar value, but i feel it will be far more rewarding!

The problem i have with joining a group is the costs from what i have seen on most of them. Ie.. £XXXX.00 to join, then £70~£120 per month then £60~£100 ph + annual contribution! this is too much, its going to take a few years of flying to even get the cost of all that down to normal PPL hire rates ! The bonus in the group i joined was that there was no initial fee, just a hour checkride with the owners trusted FI/CFE. The costs then are £135 ph wet and thats it. I believe this to be fairly reasonable. The nearest best price i could find locally was a PA28 warrior 2 160 at headcorn priced @ £150 wet + £85 annual membership, but they also use the 28 day rule :/

Must say to gasax - I am 100% not the sort of person who tells one side of a story so as to make myself feel better by means of obtaining comforting replies and comments. I am very open to constructive critism and i believe that telling the full and honest story as truthful as i can will help me realise if its infact me thats in the wrong! And im not afraid to admit if im wrong! 50'c was an estimate of how hot it felt, i am a fan of hot weather, when im outside sunbathing! iirc the forecast was 28'c in the shade on that day so imagine being in a pa28 cockpit with nothing more than that little perspex window to let air in! obviously in the air, we had cabin vents open and it was quite cool but on the ground taxing back, well put it this way, we was both drenched in sweat and was out of juice to drink!
As for the cover, it was correctly re-fitted, neatly too. The mistake i made was not tucking in the little bits of excess strap after tightening the buckles -we are taking 5~6" of excess btw, not something silly like a meter or so. But anyway, as i said before, i was unaware i even had to do this! it would have taken me 2 seconds to do if i knew and i wouldn't have had a single problem with doing it. Jeez! i am human and we all make mistakes. As for locking the door.. like i said, 60 hours of 'Dont lock the door' while training! this was the first time i had ever took out a non -flying school owned AC!

Btw, what's the harm in future-proofing by buying an IFR equip AC?